Monday, October 14, 2019

MAN FROM TOMORROW (EPISODE 11)


Martin remained at the door, keeping a hand on the golden handle. He watched the Director type away on his laptop, not at all seeming to be in a rush. His awe of the room never sank, but the joy associated with it did. He took a shaky breath and kept his gaze on the Director, who he hadn’t seen in person in a long time. What he noticed about the man was something he’d never had an opportunity to appreciate.


Even in the rather short, several week period where he’d gone without seeing the Director, Martin could see how worn the man was becoming as time passed. Creases to signify his age appeared on his face more prominent than before, and his once slick black hair was beginning to grey.  Martin waited there for several minutes in the doorway, but the Director didn’t look away from the laptop sitting in front of him.

“Sir?” Martin asked, reminding his superior of his presence. The man looked up to see him and acknowledge his existence, but then looked back down like he didn’t care. Martin wasn’t sure whether his dismissive attitude was good. It could mean that the Director gave up on him and didn’t care to show him respect, or that the man didn’t really think anything was out of the ordinary. Martin hoped for the latter.

“Come closer. We need to discuss something extremely important,” he said, what felt like hours later, to Martin. The man then pushed his laptop to the side of his desk and folded his hands, finally offering Martin his full and undivided attention.

Martin stepped away from the door and walked further into the office, allowing it to shut behind him. The silence between them was interrupted by the brief boom of the closing door.

“It’s been some time since I last had you in my office,” he chuckled. There was a hesitant pause, like the man weren’t sure where to go from there. Somehow, this eased Martin a little, but it was enough. “Ever since you showed promise as an agent, years back when you were a rookie, I always thought this office would be yours someday. It’s always been impossible to deny your talent., I’m surprised you haven’t taken it from me yet,” he said, unable to stop himself from chuckling.

Martin remained on the other side of the chair sitting in front of the Director’s desk, positive that the man could read the confusion on his face. “Sir… I’m not sure I understand...”
“You’ve always been an excellent agent, Martin, but you’ve… I guess the simplest way of saying this is, you’ve fallen off track. I’m telling you that you could have had my job months ago,” he smirked, his next words to rub it in. “But you messed it up.”

Martin’s heart sank, a fiery spark of rage growing inside him. Was the Director really taunting him? For a moment he saw red and he clenched his fists, struggling to take a deep breath. He realized then, at the peak of his anger, that anger was exactly what the Director was looking for. The red-hot anger inside him sizzled away, and he managed to take that breath. He was being tested. But for what?

“I know I haven’t been at my best as of late, Director, and there’s no excusing that. I tried to get time off in order to let me sort through everything that’s been happening without being a hindrance to the force, but they have repeatedly rejected me,” Martin said, keeping his voice level.

“Yes…” the Director pondered.

“I rejected every single one of your requests for leave of absence myself.” The Director said.


(To Be Continued Tomorrow…..)

No comments:

Post a Comment