Tuesday, October 22, 2019

MAN FROM TOMORROW (EPISODE 19)


"It was three weeks ago, on June the second. My boyfriend, who I thought was perfectly happy with our relationship, called me to the local Starbucks to have 'the talk'. Of course, I didn't know that was his intention until I got there and we started talking... but that's irrelevant, I suppose. It all happened so fast. I was in the building, and then I wasn't. I was running away," Anita paused when they reached the end of the block. Her face was tilted down and she was looking at the cement, but Martin could see the sadness within her. He said nothing, and she guided him across the street and onto the next block.

Anita didn't resume talking until they reached the Starbucks. Martin didn't need her to say that it was the one she'd been running from.

"Right here was where I bumped into him," she said, motioning with her arms. "I bumped into and angered many people in the short distance I traveled, but... it was different when I crashed into him. It was like charging into a brick wall, that's the only way I can describe it. I had to stop. And when I did, I looked at him. I didn't notice much about him in that moment other than the fact that he didn't seem angry like all the others."

"When did he save you?" Martin asked. Anita wasn't quick to respond, and was silent for the rest of the block. They crossed the road, and Anita went to lean against the wall of the nearby building. Martin followed her, he stood next to her.

"It was only a few minutes after, on this street," she lifted her arm to point over the road they just crossed. "I continued running after I bumped into him, and wasn't paying attention to incoming traffic. I could have sworn he was nowhere nearby... but I couldn't say for sure. What I do know, however, was that I was standing in the middle of that street, and he came running faster than anything I'd ever known. He grabbed me and rolled us to safety, right here on this curb. And then he was gone." Anita shrugged.

Martin looked over the street, which was no longer busy with pedestrians, but vehicles that sped back and forth in front of him.

"Is that all that happened?" he asked.

        “I have to be honest with you about this incident…” Anita began. He noticed that the knuckles she used to support the large strap of her bag had turned white. she was holding onto it for dear life. “It feels none of this ever happened. But I’m not crazy, I know it really did. I have the tag from his coat and my body still aches two full days later from the fall.”

         “What’s making you feel this way?” he asked. Martin had to be honest with himself, something about this incident felt surreal. He was pleased to find that Anita also thought there was something strange about it.

(To Be Continued Tomorrow…..)

No comments:

Post a Comment