Saturday, December 14, 2019

MAN FROM TOMORROW (EPISODE 72)


Moreover, machines are not yet so developed for independent thinking and decision making. Artificial Intelligence is quite far away though it cannot be ruled out. Besides, the rapid strides in molecular biology, cybernetics and nanotechnology in recent years have greatly brought down the cost of genetic engineering. A Superhuman on the moon will still be human and be one of our own. Ultimately, nothing on earth or in space beats the quality of human perception, thought and action.

"How do you know all this Professor?" Martin asked. The professor stopped pacing the room and fell into a snug chair. "My boy, years ago I was part of a program in a private company which aimed to clone a human being. A human being was indeed cloned. But the clone did not survive for more than a week. The program was wound up and the mission team was disbanded. We were given some hefty stock options. I was forced to retire. It was how I knew Anita's father. He worked with me for some time. But he left the company well before me. Unfortunately he died in an accident. Many months later I sold all the shares of my company and got a nice pension- kind of like a compensation package. And here I am."
Martin became thoughtful-that's how Anita knows this professor- "Hmmm... I see. But If I remember right, I think that the Federal government brought a legislation banning the cloning and possible genetic engineering of human beings, no?"

"You are right". The professor looked up-"The legislation banned private entities from cloning and genetically engineering humans. That in no way it restricted Government agencies from carrying out the same activities. As I told earlier, I was a scientist myself in a private company and we were forced to tone down our research partly because of the intense pressure from the Federal government. That legislation was the last nail in our coffin. We had to shut down completely. The equipment of my company is what you see in this lab of mine now. From a profession, it has now become my hobby and a post-retirement pastime to study the sciences."
"Tell us more about these Super Humans- like what all capabilities they may have and so on..." Anita asked. Anita's curiosity had gotten the better of her.

The professor was more than willing-
"My dear, Super Humans can supposedly be created to have a wide array of capabilities. In theory it is possible to augment human physical and mental capabilities for space exploration. The genes can be tweaked- reducing the need for sleep, increasing alertness, and mitigating stress. One can, by genetic engineering customize human capabilities, for increased disease resistance, increased muscle mass for strength, mimicking hibernating mammals to produce a similar sleep process in humans, slow down the aging process and increase the capacity to heal.

(To Be Continued Tomorrow...)

[The complete Book ‘MAN FROM TOMORROW’ can be downloaded at amzn.to/2MSf1ng]

No comments:

Post a Comment